Wednesday, May 11, 2011

the tirade

Today didn't start out well.

I woke later than I wanted to. Immediately I was reminded of the long to-do list on my calendar. On top of that I remembered the hours I wasted watching Sharks lose yesterday.

Add to this - the fact that my daughter was sitting in her room idle. She practices her music in the morning. But today she was ready, but no music was coming out of her room. She was just sitting and staring at the wall.

I don't know what that triggered in me but I went off on a tirade. I raved and ranted at her. Oh! how the words flowed. No pause for breath, or thoughts or explanations. I was on an all-mighty roll. For those of you who'll done this, you know there is no stopping it.

For the lucky others, here's a example of it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CXgoJ0f5EsQ

I was doing the condensed version. Nobody recorded me but I sounded the same. If not worse!

On and on and on I went. Until my dear hubby, bless him, decided to intervene. He hugged Medha and gave me a look.

I paused - long enough for him to ask the question that I should have asked first. He asked her why she couldn't sing this morning. She said "My phone started beeping at midnight, I didn't sleep properly". Again with a warning look in my direction he asked the follow-up question. "What is special about today that you needed a remainder?"

Medha didn't even glance at me - she was afraid I would start again. Looking at her dad, she said "I set the 2 day remainder for your anniversary on the 13th! I didn't expect it to ring at night" ( she probably needed the 2 days to compose a poem or a well-thought out card or make a drawing for us)

Silence! - deadly silence followed her announcement.

You could hear a pin drop. Forget the pin, you could hear my thoughts churning in my head.

It was screaming "Oh! Why doesn't Life come with a REWIND+ERASE button? why not, why not?!!"

Better still if it came with a PAUSE+LISTEN button.

But for now, the big, bold and bright CRINGE+MAKE-UP button is beckoning.
Oh! doesn't that look well-used and well-worn!! Here comes yet another click on it.

Any ideas / suggestions for the make-up part?

5 comments:

  1. It happens maa...don't worry, after all who else can you yell at? & we get yelled at many times - that'll cancel the effect....there is always the makeup button & credit card ;) Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't use PMS as an excuse for the tirade ? Maybe you were just showing her how not to react before knowing the whole truth.. (you were just teaching her what not to do by really doing it first) If none of these excuses work, then maybe a well-thought out card from you saying sorry will do the trick

    ReplyDelete
  3. Somebody had said
    'Don't return kindness - pass it on'
    It is time to restate it with
    'Don't return shouts - pass it on'
    All buttons once pressed cannot go back as they have done their job - good or bad.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with Bhanu's suggestion. If not, you can try the good old fashioned hugs & kisses along with a sorry :) I know it works with my kids. And a mother -daughter weekend shopping trip, perhaps? Good luck, Nitya!

    Prabha

    ReplyDelete
  5. I read 4 comments on this post before the blogspot problems started.

    Thanks for your inputs.

    -Nitya

    ReplyDelete