Before talking about the movie, let me tell you about the difficulties I had in scheduling the outing.
All the movie buffs in my friend circle had already seen the movie.
The ones who hadn't couldn't find a common time frame to see it. But I was determined that this didn't become another "Slum Dog Millionaire" - thanks to all the non-stop discussions about slumdog, I knew all the scenes of that movie before seeing it!
Oh! the good old college days when it was easy to find friends to see a movie. All I had to do was to decide to watch a movie a few days before an exam! Everyone was waiting for an excuse to put down the books.
For some reason, a popular movie was a good enough excuse :-)
But I digress. Back to the movie. I liked it, would have liked it better if it was shorter. I had tears in my eyes for most of the movie, sometimes due to laughing too hard and sometimes because of some poignant moments. The movie did bring out some valid points concerning the education system in India. To a large extent, those
problems are present in the school system in the U.S. too.
Let me make my point regarding the US school system as I'm going thru that with my kids now. How does any system cater to the majority of its client base with a single process - by targetting the average. By definition, most of the students are average and conforming to a single point of view. The K-12 school system caters to them just fine. It is the kids who fall at the edges of the bell curve that have an issue, Or the kids who learn in a non-traditional way. Of all the non-confirming kids, the schools work better with the kids who are below average. This helps the school increase their scores and they are rewarded for improving. How about the kids who learn quicker? They are left to get bored. As far as I can see, no effort is made to tailor projects to their pace or issue more homework. I've tried speaking to the teachers and things improve for a short time before sliding back to the routine in a short while.
What is the solution? I haven't found one. Unfortunately, the movie didn't come up with one too. A short mention of an alternative kind of school is no answer. Perhaps there is no solution. Perhaps home-schooling is the answer. Perhaps supplementing with after-school activities is a way to go.
Or perhaps getting bored is one of the ways for a creative mind to come up with different ideas.
Only time can time. I can only pray that the result is to my liking.
ರಾಯಚೂರಿನ ಕೋಟೆ
9 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment