Blog regularly.
Well, that’s my resolution for the year. I’ll mostly write about my other resolution, trying new recipes. New is defined as something that I've not tried before. However don’t look here for recipes – it may not be in your best interests. There, now that that is out of the way, let me give you an account of my first experiment.
We have a green apple tree in our backyard. How it grows in our house is still a mystery to me. We don’t tend to it or pay any attention to it, still it grows and thrives. I wish my kids learnt something from that tree. Well, that’ll be my next year’s resolution – instill apple tree values in kids!
Back to the recipe, I decide to cook the apples for my first new dish. My husband picked 5 apples from the tree and put them on the counter. Apples from the backyard, in a new dish. I did feel a bit like Martha Stewart then.
Forget the fact that I’d no idea what I’ll do with the green apples!
Sweet, sour and a bit tart - I'm talking about the apples here. What could I do with them? Gojju came to mind, so I tried my version of it with apples. Surprising it turned out well. So I'm off to a good start. The recipe follows just for the record.
I eye-balled the quantity of the spices, so what I have here is an approximation.
Ingredients
5 green apples
handful Grated coconut
4 red chillis
3tsp dania
2tsp urud dal
1tsp methi seeds
3tsp Sesame seeds
a large piece Jaggery
1tsp tamarind paste
Salt to taste
a pinch Turmeric powder
For the seasoning:
Oil
Mustard
1 Red chilli
few curry leaves
Directions
1.Roast red chillis, dania, urud dal, methi, & sesame seeds. Allow to cool and grind to a powder.
2.Wet grind grated coconut and turmeric powder along with the above ground powder with sufficient water.
3.Cut the apples.
4. In a large saucepan, heat oil. Add mustard seeds, curry leaves and red chilli.
5. Add the apples to the oil and cook till half done.
6. Add the masala paste to the apples and continue cooking. after a while add the tamarind, jaggery & salt.
7. The gojju is done when the apples are fully cooked.
ರಾಯಚೂರಿನ ಕೋಟೆ
9 years ago
Ah yes. The "wild" green apple gojju was awesome! Our backyard squirrels will have serious competition from now on :-)
ReplyDeleteNow my wouth is watering.I have to try this.Why did California and New Jersey have to be so far away.Now I have to make it to see how it tastes and again it may or may not turn out like how you made.
ReplyDeleteI'm going to make it anyway.:-)
I make a pear gojju, Nitya. The green apple one sounds awesome too! Thanks for sharing.
ReplyDeleteArathi